I want to loop back on the bee package installation that I reported on my last blog. After 3 days we reopened the hive and happily noticed that the bees had left their packages and had taken over the frames in the hive, just as we wanted.
We took out the packages that we had installed and set each one to the side of the hive after making sure the queen was not on them anywhere. The bees that were left on the package quickly returned to the hive box as it held their queen.
We noticed that the bees had built out some honey comb on the different package boxes which we collected up and will save for the future waxing of frames.
We put the removed frames back in the now vacant spot, refilled the feeders and then closed up the hive. We’ll now regularly check the hive and keep the feeders filled while the bees are building out their new home and while the available flowers are not yet plentiful.
We now have happily settled bees. Everything worked perfectly as planned. Happy bees, happy beekeepers. 😀
Happy beekeeping, Sheri